How do I make an SVG take no space in the DOM?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP

How do I make an SVG take no space in the DOM?



Given an extremely simple SVG in a html file, such as this one:




<html>
<body>
no space between here &gt;<svg height="100" width="100"><circle cx="50" cy="50" r="40" stroke="black" stroke-width="3" fill="red" /></svg>&lt; and here.
</body>

</html>



I want to put this in my HTML page as an overlay: I don't want it to take up any space in the DOM, and just appear in the background. How can I do this? I presume it's CSS but I can't figure out the right incantation.




2 Answers
2



You can just use position: absolute to take it out of the page flow:


position: absolute




svg
position: absolute;


<html>
<body>
no space between here &gt;<svg height="100" width="100"><circle cx="50" cy="50" r="40" stroke="black" stroke-width="3" fill="red" /></svg>&lt; and here.
</body>

</html>





I tried this, but did it wrong and concluded it did not work :( Thanks, I have it working now!
– Paul Biggar
9 hours ago



Let me know if this helps:




body
position: relative;


svg
/* absolute positioning takes svg out of flow of the document, it is positioned relative to it's closest parent with 'relative' or 'absolute' positioning, in this case the body */
position: absolute;
/* setting this makes it so that the svg won't eat up any clicks meant for elements underneath it */
pointer-events: none;

/* you can use these offsets to change where exactly the svg is positioned */
top: 0;
left: 0;


<html>
<body>
no space between here &gt;<svg height="100" width="100"><circle cx="50" cy="50" r="40" stroke="black" stroke-width="3" fill="red" /></svg>&lt; and here.
</body>
</html>






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Executable numpy error

PySpark count values by condition

Trying to Print Gridster Items to PDF without overlapping contents